This week I’m proud and happy to share with you some great advice from my dear friend, Marcia Ramsland, the ‘holiday coach’ and ‘organizing pro.’ Marcia has made life easier and simpler for me and for thousands of others during the holidays and all through the year.
You too, can find ways to save time and simplify the traditional holiday activities for a smooth, easy flow.
1. Brighten your calendar—and your outlook—with holiday stickers or a red pen marking holiday events.
2. Buy gifts in one major category this year—different sweaters for everyone, appropriate CDs or books for mailed gifts, or personalized restaurant gift certificates.
3. Mark your calendar with two-hour appointments for Christmas preparations such as Thursday bake, Friday decorate, Saturday shop and clean.
4. Enlist a holiday buddy to help you plan, especially one who is better in an area you are weak.
5. When you’re doing the family Christmas card, get an assembly line going. After you have addressed the envelopes, line up envelopes to stuff and stamps to lick for your kids.
6. Shop for convenience, online or at one mall to simplify the abundance of choices.
7. Call or e-mail the person that you just can’t find that special gift. Ask her what she would really like to get this year.
8. Stretch your limited social time by attending a Christmas event and getting together with friends for dinner beforehand or dessert afterwards.
9. Purchase a holiday devotional book or holiday novel to curl up with each night to get you through the season, such as Simply December Devotions: 25 Days to Celebrate the Real Meaning of Christmas.
10. Savor one event or daily conversation by jotting it down in a Christmas journal. Title it “The Best Things that Happened to Me This Christmas.”
Every holiday turns out different in some way—someone moves, someone marries, little children grow up, and older relatives have fewer years ahead of them than behind them. Whatever the situation, I’m confident you can simplify as you prepare your heart and home for Christmas.
Marcia Ramsland is well known as The Holiday Coach and has written 2 books on the holidays: Simplify Your Holiday Season and Simply December Devotions. She has been a spokesperson for Sam’s Club Holiday Entertaining and offers a free Holiday Club Conference Call “Fast Forward into Christmas – Shortcuts and Tips! on Thursday December 5. Register at www.OrganizingPro.com.